Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Thinking Through Tuesday

With the advent of new leadership in our country, a collapsing economy, and feeling surrounded by a world bent on chasing pleasures and protecting evil, I've been feeling really insecure about the future; not necessarily my own, but the future of our nation. The future that my girls are growing up into...as I receive email updates about President Obama's first actions in office (i.e. allowing tax dollars to fund abortions overseas), it's easy to become depressed by the state of our nation, and fearful of where it's going. Thankfully, God knows exactly where my soul is at, and provided me with a devotional focused on faith.

http://www.girlfriendsingod.com/Devotions/TodaysDevotion/tabid/97/Default.aspx

Which is exactly what I need to focus on, not on the state of the world, but on strengthening my knowledge that God is still and always in control.

The devotional sent me to Hebrews 11, where I found several inspiring and hope-filled passages:

"1Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see... 3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible...6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him...

[examples given]

13All these people were still living by faith when they died. They did not receive the things promised; they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. And they admitted that they were aliens and strangers on earth. 14People who say such things show that they are looking for a country of their own. ..16...they were longing for a better country—a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them... (emphasis mine)

[more examples]

32And what more shall I say? I do not have time to tell about Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel and the prophets, 33who through faith conquered kingdoms, administered justice, and gained what was promised; who shut the mouths of lions, 34quenched the fury of the flames, and escaped the edge of the sword; whose weakness was turned to strength (emphasis mine); and who became powerful in battle and routed foreign armies..."

I encourage you to read the entire passage http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Hebrews%2011&version=31 It's a fantastic reminder that from the beginning of time, God has been in control, and He is able to give us the power, even through our weaknesses, to conquer any hardship or circumstance. And at the end of it all, we have the knowledge that He has prepared a city for us that will be devoid of all the evil, financial stress, Godless governments, etc that plague my spirit now. In the meantime, I'll focus on having faith that "...in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

Lord, I thank you today for your Word to calm my spirit. I acknowledge your absolute power and control, far above all nations and governments. I ask that you blanket my soul with your peace that passes all understanding, that you honor your promise to work all things for my good, and that you help me to grow in faith and wisdom. Help me to raise children whose faith is greater than mine, equipping them to deal with anything their future holds. Give me a hunger for prayer; a desire to lift my nation and President to your throne. I ask this in Jesus name...Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment