Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Movie Review: The Time Traveller's Wife

I read the book The Time Travellers Wife about a year ago as part of a reading list I'm working my way through...I read a LOT of books, and because of the sheer quanity, not too many stick with me long enough to be recommended to friends and family...a year after reading this book, I'm still recommending it as a must-read. Not because of any philosophical message or deep spiritual content, but because the concept is so ingenious and the characters are so well-developed that they become part of who you are. I literally could not put this book down, and fell in love with both Henry and Claire and the unorthodox and challenging life they make together. So I was super-excited when I first saw previews for the movie based on the book...excitement quickly turned to anxiety. What if it didn't meet my expectations? Would it be a disappointment and forever taint the beauty of the book? After waffling on deciding to see or not to see, I took advantage of a rare kid-free day to see it with my brother's girlfriend...the verdict? I really liked it! Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams were Henry and Claire, and to the best of my recollection, the movie stayed pretty true to the book (of course, as a movie, things had to be left out or I'd be sitting in the theater still). However, I can't for the life of me figure out why the movie didn't end with the heart-warming and romantic final scene of the book!

Disclaimer: There is some rear-view nudity during time-travel, so don't see it if that's a deal-breaker for you. Because of this, I recommend the movie only for my older readers, even though it has a PG-13 rating. Also, it has been a while since reading the book, so if you read it and are offended by something in it, I apologize. I honestly don't remember there being anything objectionable in the book, but sometimes those details get glazed over with time...

No comments:

Post a Comment