Sunday, May 24, 2009

The Weekend Wasn't So Bad After All....

So Brandon was away all weekend on his annual "man trip". I admit, I wasn't feeling really gracious about it...for one thing, why does he get to automatically go away for a long weekend every year? Besides the fact that he'd be going to movies I want to see, and I'd love to have him all to myself for a whole weekend. Why does a group of guys get that privelege while I sit at home caring for our girls. Thankfully, despite my lousy attitude, the weekend has been pretty great.

Thursday: Took the girls to the library (after seeing B off packed into a mid-sized car with three other guys, four computers, and assorted luggage and snacks), and to speech in the afternoon. Excited to find four books waiting for me at the library, and the girls enjoyed picking out new books and playing on the computer. Speech is going well enough that her teacher decided we can take a break for summer! It'll be great to have Adeline's Thursday afternoon nap uninterrupted for a while, but the girls will miss playing with the dollhouse there...Thursday night I finished stripping wallpaper from the entryway. Couldn't get the sprayer open, so I had to use the dinky little spray bottle to douse the walls. Carpal tunnel, please forgive me. At least the paper came off pretty easily.

Friday: Watched Grant, and the girls had a blast helping me take care of him. While he and Adeline were sleeping, I taped the plethora of woodwork. Took two rolls of tape. Finally weeded the vegetable garden. The green beans, squash, carrots, lettuce, and herbs are all up! For supper, we went to B's parents for his dad's birthday party. Ice cream cake! When we got back at 9, I put the girls to bed and went to work painting. Coincidentally, Lifetime was playing a movie based on a book I just read and loved, so I watched/listened to that while painting. It took longer than I expected because of the textured walls, but I love the color. Finally fell into bed, exhausted, around midnight.

Saturday: Opened my eyes at 6 a.m. to find myself in a stare-down with small curly-haired girl. Headed over to B's parents again to help them get ready for a garage sale. The girls had fun playing with their aunt's hairless dog and with the garage sale toys. Had leftovers for lunch, then headed home to put Adeline down for a nap. The girls weren't happy to go to sleep that night, I can tell they miss their dad....after finally getting them down, I did the final coat on the walls and put the room back together. Celebrated the accomplishment of my first ever solo room makeover with a hot shower, a Diet Coke, and a disappointingly uninteresting book.

Sunday: Decided it wasn't worth it to haul two small children half hour to church, so I attempted to sleep in. Attempt foiled by another six a.m. wake-up call from charming curly-haired girl, accompanied by charming eighties rocker-haired girl. By ten a.m we were all bouncing off the walls and each other, so called my parents for back-up and lunch. Went to McDonald's for nutricious lunch consisting of two Happy Meals and a Big Mac meal, then headed to a nearby town to buy plants. (Bonus stop at the local bait and tackle shop to find several of my dad's lures had sold!) Picked up the rest of the vegetables for the garden, and a trunk-load of flowers in yellows, apricots, and purples. While making dinner, threw together a quadruple batch of Calico Beans for freezer meals. Girls went down better, and I finally had some time to relax! Which is being spent chronicling my weekend solo flight.

Hmmm....someone crying...gotta run!


  1. Congratulations, sushi_noem, you're the winner of this week's give-away on my blog at Not Entirely British :-)

    Please go to my website contact page HERE and send me your email address, which I can forward to Jessie Funk who will mail you the prize.

    Thanks for taking part. Enjoy!

  2. Guys always get priority over my husband... so lame.