Saturday, April 18, 2009

Gone Curbin' and Other Events

The last few weeks have been really busy, thus the sparse blog posts. It started a few weeks ago with the MN Musky Expo. As I've mentioned before, my dad has started his own fishing lure company, which I help him manage. We ran a booth at our first expo two weekends ago, which entailed a LOT of prep work. Especially since the week of, we finally got fed up with our bank and switched over all our accounts. (There's a certain well-known bank which is now considered a curse word in my house!) Anyhow, after the prep work, I drove up with my dad to help him set up and man the booth, along with my uncle and a few shareholders. We didn't sell a whole lot, but we made lots of great contacts, and had a blast. I am not a fisherwoman, and about as far from "redneck" as you can get, so I was pleasantly surprised to find how much I enjoyed the atmosphere and people at the show. As soon as I can find my camera, I'll post pics of the event.

I've also been babysitting my friend's little boy Monday, Wednesday, Friday, which leaves little time for the computer on those days. But it's so fun to have an infant in the house again. My girls both adore him, and provide plenty of entertainment for this so-far only child.

Last weekend, I was virtually computer-free because of a nasty virus my laptop try picked up. Beware of a pop-up that looks like it's from Windows Security! My darling hubby spent hours first trying to fix the poor thing, then backing up all my files and programs so that he could wipe the computer and start over. I'm so thankful my husband is handy in so many different ways. He's pretty convenient to have around...

And finally, last night was the kick-off for my favorite hunting season, Curbing! For the past several years, my husband and I, the inlaws, and often our friends, head out in our trucks and vans and trailers to troll the streets during scheduled curb-side recycling in the more affluent neighorhoods of the Cities. Our first haul of the season was a doozy, including: a brand-new ergonomic desk chair, playset components (slide, swings, ladder, etc), covered sandbox, Little Tikes slide, Little Tikes standing kitchen playset, Polly Pocket set, dollhouse furniture, jogging stroller/bike trailer, 3 strollers, a shoe shelf, an antique quilt, several basketballs, Lego castle set, Hooked on Phonics kits, 5 bag chairs (including 3 Eddie Bauer w/footrests), Barbie car, Cabbage Patch doll, several wooden puzzles, and last but not least......


A (nearly working) MOTORCYCLE!!! Pretty much like this one...



So I'd like to know, what's the best thing you've picked up off the side of the road? Or am I the only one out there who gets a thrill out of this?

1 comment: